Aims, Vision and Ethos
At Millbrook Primary School, we value learning and see it as a lifelong process. We seek to create an open and creative community where all are valued, supported and challenged. Everyone receives regular praise and encouragement to be the best they can possibly be and we work towards making people feel good.
Our learning community is based on honesty, integrity and responsibility borne out of mutual respect and kindness towards each other.
At Millbrook Primary School we respond to challenges in creative and flexible ways which demonstrate our values and inspire a positive culture. We continually aim for excellence by providing a high quality education for each young person in a caring and safe environment.
At Millbrook we:
- Will provide a safe, dynamic and nurturing environment for all;
- Will respect each other and treat others in the way that we would want to be treated ourselves; – we actively support and monitor equal opportunities and are sensitive to the issues of race, gender, social background and culture. Feeling good about ourselves raises self esteem and gives us the confidence to be the best that we can be.
- Will all work together to make learning enjoyable and fulfilling for everyone; – lifelong learning is a goal for us all and learning is about passion and ambition with quality at its heart.
- Strive to give everyone the opportunity to fulfil their ambitions, dreams and goals and recognise everyone’s achievements.
- We will seek to unlock talent and for every member of our community to achieve excellence and fulfil their potential in every way possible. Our expectation is for all of us to be the best we can be.
- Will work together to build good relationships within and beyond the school gates; – we seek to be responsible citizens and actively promote community responsibility. We are members of local, regional, national and global communities and we seek to engender amongst learners a sense of tolerance, understanding and integrity.
- Value every person as we positively promote equal opportunities; – everyone having an entitlement to education and support. Through the active promotion of equality of opportunity, we demonstrate how much we value each other.
Future generations will need to thrive in a challenging and fast paced environment. At Millbrook Primary School we want every individual to flourish whilst preparing to meet these challenges.
At Millbrook we aim to produce thoughtful, confident citizens that understand, respect and promote the values of our country and society. So how do we go about doing this?
Firstly, all the adults in the school, lead by example and model fairness, justice and respect for others at all times. Everyone is treated equally, regardless of race, religion, language, age or ability. We find time to talk to each other and learn about each other, valuing differences, always using good manners and speaking politely. The older children demonstrate expected behaviours and attitudes to the younger children and we make sure that small things, like a smile or a sticker, are valued and appreciated.
Secondly, we teach democracy and social responsibility through our School Council and through our curriculum. Each year the Y6 make a visit to the Houses of Parliament and have previously met with Robert Buckland, our local MP, and watched part of a debate in the House of Commons.
We have regular assemblies that focus on the themes of respect, taking responsibility and working cooperatively, to make sure that the understanding and respect we have for each other is applied to the whole community and everyone we meet. We also have regular assemblies and events that focus on current affairs, locally, nationally and internationally.