At Millbrook, using the National Curriculum. we are committed to teaching a broad, balanced and engaging curriculum that challenges all of our pupils and enriches their lives.
We follow the Statutory Framework for Early Year Foundation Stage. Our curriculum is guided by this and Development Matters.
Statutory Framework for EYFS - Early years foundation stage (EYFS) statutory framework – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Development Matters - Development Matters – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
In Key Stage 1 and 2 the school bases it’s teaching on a cross curricular two year rolling programme, with topic and English links being made wherever possible. National Curriculum objectives in Maths and English can be found in the National Curriculum link above.
The reading scheme used throughout the school is Oxford Reading Tree from Oxford University Press. We use their ”Floppy’s Phonics” systematic synthetic phonics teaching programmes to teach phonics.
At Millbrook we aim to have an Outstanding Curriculum which:
- Is under-pinned by aims, values and purpose,
- Develops the whole person, knowledge, skills, understanding and attitudes,
- Is broad and balances and has clear progression in subject knowledge and skills,
- Is filled with rich, first hand purposeful experiences,
- Is flexible and responsive to individual needs and interests,
- Embeds the principle of sustainability,
- Has an eye on the future and needs of future citizens,
- Encourages the use of environments and expertise beyond the classroom,
- Makes meaningful links between areas of knowledge across the curriculum and the major issues of our time,
- Has a local, national and international dimension.
2022 – 2023
Year 1 and 2
|Term 1||Once Upon a Time|
|Term 2||Let's Celebrate|
|Term 3||Up, Up and Away|
|Term 4||Dungeons and Dragons|
|Term 6||Down in the garden|
Year 3 and 4
|Term 1||Active Planet|
|Term 2||Passports of the World|
|Term 3||The Romans|
|Term 4||The Iron Man|
|Term 5||The Victorians|
|Term 6||Let it Grow|
Year 5 and 6
|Term 1||Being Human|
|Term 2||Saxon Settlement|
|Term 3||Saxon and Viking Conflict|
|Term 4||Ancient Maya|
|Term 5||Space Explorers|
|Term 6||What a Wonderful World|