At Millbrook we use the National Curriculum in Key Stage 1 and 2. We follow the Statutory Framework for Early Year Foundation Stage. Our curriculum is guided by this and Development Matters.
Statutory Framework for EYFS - Early years foundation stage (EYFS) statutory framework – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Development Matters - Development Matters – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
We do not narrow our curriculum for any children in our school. We adapt so that all children have access to a broad, balanced and rich curriculum.
In Key Stage 1 and 2, the school bases its teaching on a cross-curricular two year rolling programme, with topic and English links being made wherever possible, This is to enable children and teachers to make connections across the curriculum. National Curriculum objectives in Maths and English can be found in the National Curriculum link above.
At Millbrook we aim to have an engaging and relevant Curriculum which:
- Builds on prior knowledge, both horizontally (throughout the year) and vertically (from Foundation Stage to Year 6).
- Embeds Reading and Vocabulary at its heart to support language use across the subjects.
- Is filled with rich, first-hand, purposeful experiences that our children may not otherwise experience.
- Embraces and celebrates our diverse school community, reflecting children’s experiences and exploring the world around us.
- Develops both academic learning as well as character traits such as collaboration, communication, independence, courage and resilience.